Affresh is a cleaning agent that was designed to clean the washing machine. It is used by putting it in with your laundry and letting it do its work while you wash. The problem, however, is what if you don’t have any Affresh? What can I use instead of Affresh? Let’s look at some options!
What Is Affresh Washer Cleaner Made of
Affresh washer cleaner is made of ingredients that are safe for your septic system. It’s also phosphate-free and works great at removing tough odors like mold, mildew, or soap scum. Affresh washing machine cleaner tablets are made with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (official webcite) Safer Choice certified ingredients, so you can use them with confidence.
Two main ingredient in Affresh washing machine cleaners is what makes them so effective: Sodium percarbonate and Sodium carbonate.
- Sodium Percarbonate
Sodium percarbonate is a strong oxidizing agent that works to help remove what causes odors in your washing machine. In addition, sodium carbonate helps reduce the amount of soap residue left behind from what you wash with it by naturally softening water and boosting its pH (the level of acidity or alkalinity).
- Sodium Carbonate
It is used in laundry detergents, dishwashing detergents, all-purpose cleaners, sanitizing sprays, and soap and glass manufacturing. Soda ash cuts through grease and softens water.
- Affresh washer cleaner also contain polyethylene glycol which aids the tablet in foaming and dissolving gradually after being exposed to water. Polyethylene glycol is used in laundry detergents, shampoos and cosmetics.
- Affresh contains glucono-delta-lactone, a common food additive that helps keep the tablets from breaking down in their package. Sodium acetate also helps bind the tablets. You only want them to start working their magic once they come into contact with water in your washing machine.
Affresh washer cleaner ingredients are what you would typically find in a home-made washing machine cleaner recipe, but these cleaners have been laboratory tested to be effective at removing tough stains and odors from your laundry.
Other cleansers used washing machines
Some possible substitutes for Affresh washing machine cleaner tablets are:
- dish soap
- baking soda and vinegar.
This provides a similar cleaning mechanism as what affresh does without using any harmful chemicals.
A deep clean of washing machine
- Remove any detergent trays before beginning though.
- Run a cycle with bleach and hot water (1:1).
- Run a second hot cycle with 2 cups white distilled vinegar, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1/4 cup water.
- Use water to clean the rubber seal surrounding the washing machine’s lip.
- Don’t forget there may still be some residual left over residue in these compartments which needs to be cleaned off or it will attract mildew.
Natural cleansers in washing machine
You can always use both baking soda and vinegar – these wonderful natural ingredients are often used in a wide variety of kitchen utensils!
Add 3-4 cups of white vinegar to the water and allow the machine to agitate for a minute to incorporate the vinegar. Then add about ½ cup of baking soda. After it allow the machine to run again to mix in the baking soda.
Caution: Be sure to check that vinegar does not have any additives before using it as well! It needs be 100% acetic acid diluted in water.
How often should I clean my washing machine?
That depends on what you are washing. If your clothes come out with a residue left over, especially after using the detergent pods to wash them, this would indicate that it is time for an additional clean.
Also if you notice excessive mildew or bad odors coming from inside of the machine then it may be necessary to deep-clean it again soon! You could check the manual and see what kind of cycles they recommend running in order to get any stains/odors off before doing so though. If there isn’t much information included in your washer’s manual, you should be cleaning the inside and outside of your washer once per month.
Or you always can search on the Internet for a possible solution to determine how often you want to clean your washing machine!
Now you know there are some effective alternatives for Affresh washer cleaner. If you have any of your own recipes for cleaning washing machines, time-tested and safe, we will be happy to read about them in the comments right now!